If you WERE comparing countries, what factors would you take into account? I AM doing such an ill-conceived comparison... the issues I've raised in order to arrive at results so far, are:
* Acievement of Women's Right to Vote on an Equal Basis with Men (Source: Lisa Tuttle 'Encyclopedia of Feminism' 1986)
* Life expectancy (Sources: Anthony Giddens "Sociology" 4th edition, & CIA World Factbook 2004)
* Quality of Life (Source: The Economist's "World in 2005" publication)
* Most Competitive Economy (Source: Annual World Economic Forum)
* Gay Rights (Sources: www.ReligiousTolerance.org, Stonewall, etc)
* Obesity (Sources: OECD Health Data 2004, 3rd edition and International Obesity Task Force", EU Platform Briefing Paper)
Factors that I'm DIScounting are: Natural resources, country size, population size, etc.
The five best countries so far are... three main ones plus two secondary ones... Sweden, Finland, Norway, Australia and Switzerland. Anyone care to suggest further countries or heuristics?
This page is now launched on http://www.vexen.co.uk/countries/best.html
and further comments can be found on http://www.livejournal.com/users/vexen/240464.html?nc=13